Tuesday, February 9, 2021

New release sample: NIGHT OF THE LIVING PROOF

 

“Besides, the ship isn’t having a New Year’s party.”

“So that means you’re free?”

Ah ha! We finally touched on the reason for his visit.

“I’m very expensive, and don’t you forget it,” I shot back.

That got raised eyebrows, then a more relaxed grin as he sat back in Franny’s chair. It conveniently tried to collapse into the full recline position, which it was not constructed to do.

While he struggled to get upright again and put Franny’s three sweaters back in place on the back of the chair, I fought with the paralyzing realization of the implications of his question. He wasn’t asking me to go out with him for New Year’s, was he? Why in the world would he do that?

“I’m busy. Working,” I said, when he was sitting upright and gazing hopefully at me again.

“Great. New material?”

“Not sure yet.”

“Umm, hate to tell you, but New Year’s Eve is only five days away. So where are you performing?”

“Eden.” It was no good keeping it a secret from him, since it was in yesterday’s newspaper. “It’s the annual overnight lock-in.”

“Lock-in? Like, no one gets out for the entire night? And no one gets in, once the doors are locked?”

The excitement in his voice made me suspicious. I was tempted to reach across the desk and grab his hand, to try to pick up any images in his mind for clues into his reasons and thoughts. However, no way did I want to hold hands with the ex-Evil Overlord. My only option was to ask or guess.

No comments: