Tuesday, February 2, 2021

New release sample: NIGHT OF THE LIVING PROOF

 

There ought to be a law against a workday landing between Christmas and the weekend. I knew what waited for me. The half-awake feeling of the day after a holiday at the newspaper office. Everyone straggling in, fighting the don’t-I-get-a-holiday-too pokiness of the computers. The computers at our office made me believe in animism—inorganic objects having sentience. For instance, in college, my adviser celebrated the first snowfall of the season throwing snowballs at the window of the Humanities dean … until one snowball broke it. When we had a freeze two days later, the only pipes on the entire Willis-Brooks College campus that froze and broke were in his office. Animism.

My brain still churned over our breakfast conference, the poisoned dart in my neck, and the adrenaline rush of having had my life threatened. I could have claimed some invalid status, either physical or emotional. But no, I had responsibility branded into my genetic structure by my parents. Which was weird, considering what hippies they were.

So with heavy heart and slushy gloves, I pushed my chair through the sludge filling the parking lot and up the ramp to the office door. And nearly got brained by the door when Daniel pushed it open just as I was reaching for the handle.

Yes, I had finally gotten into the habit of calling him Daniel instead of the Evil Overlord. Honestly, how could I hate a fellow Trekker who was a not-so-secret-anymore fan of my comedy?

“What are you doing here?” I nearly forgot to grab at my wheels to keep from sliding backwards down the ramp.

Having the new owner show up before the office was officially open for business was odd enough to be suspicious.

No comments: