Tuesday, February 16, 2021

New release sample: NIGHT OF THE LIVING PROOF

A surge of nausea went through me so strongly, I had probably turned green for a few seconds, at least. The way he was talking about the bride-to-be’s family sounded like the Grandstone clan. Reggie had publicly embarrassed himself last spring, insisting he and Doni Halliday were sweethearts. Until it finally got through his egotistical rock skull that his elusive bride was less than half his age. It was the Grandstone tactic to marry into power and wealth if they couldn’t lie or sue or intimidate to get what they wanted.

“Are you okay?” Daniel asked.

Maybe I had turned green, and it wasn’t just my imagination?

I reflected back on the few times I had thought how he and Sylvia Grandstone were perfect for each other. Before I got to know him. Maybe I had imagined Sylvia around town the last few weeks because I was being so mean to Daniel? A guilty conscience making me hallucinate? I scrambled to get my brain back on track.

“So your mother is trying to deflect things and having a hard time? Don’t suppose you’ve thought about living in a castle with a really deep moat, stocked with piranha?”

That got a sickly grin from him.

“The really sad and kind of ironic part is that until this mess started, Mom was starting to put the ‘when are you going to make me a grandmother?’ pressure on me.”

“So, what’s this mail order bride like?”

He glared at me. Then he must have seen the idiocy of the whole situation, because he kind of deflated and slumped more in his chair and grinned back at me.
 

No comments: