Friday, February 12, 2021

New release sample: NIGHT OF THE LIVING PROOF

 “What do you need an excuse not to do?”

“Not exactly do, but see.” Daniel shrugged and put his elbows on the desk and rested his chin in his hands. That made it hard for him to talk, but he managed. “How many times do you have to tell someone you don’t want to spend time with them before they stop insisting that you’re being silly and immature, and you were meant for each other?”

“Sounds fair to me.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” That crease between his eyebrows got so deep, it threatened to bisect his nose. It struck me as kind of endearing, even cute. Panic shot through me a moment later.

“You never took the hint when you were chasing me around town.”

“Yeah, but I’m not a bloodsucking gold-digger with a Mata Hari complex.”

“Oh, a female stalker.” I had a hard time smothering laughter, but I tried, just out of a sense of pity.

“Save me. If we’re friends at all, give me a good excuse not to be available.”

“Just tell her you’re not free. You don’t have to give her an excuse.”

“My mother needs an excuse.”

“Your mother is playing matchmaker?”

“Never. She’s just having a hard time walking the line between convincing Mata’s parents that their daughter is delusional, no relationship exists between us, and starting a war in social media that will probably send the stock of our corporation into the basement. These people play hardball. They’ve got this attitude that they’re entitled to have anything they want. If that means marrying into the corporation, then their darling daughter and I don’t have any choice.”

No comments: