Friday, February 26, 2021

New release sample: NIGHT OF THE LIVING PROOF

 “Mata Hari must be pretty bad, huh?”

“You know how in Buffy, the vampires are always so gorgeous and fun, then right before they sink their teeth into you, they turn really ugly? Lanie? Are you okay? You look like you’re going to be sick.”

“Close.” No way was I going to admit we had something else in common. With my luck, he’d invite himself to the annual Buffy marathon with Felicity, Mandy, and a few other girls from the ship. I made a mental note to tell them not to tell the Evil Overlord.

“Maybe you should go home. Can you work from home? Can I give you a ride?”

“Aren’t you supposed to butter me up before I give you what you want?” I should have called in sick.

“You are my best friend.”

“No, I’m your commodore who doesn’t want to lose my new communications officer by having you move to Singapore to get away from Mata Hari. How did you ever get linked up with her, that she thought you two were a couple?”

“It started when we were kids. Granddad rented a house here in town one summer.” He leaned back, frowning at me.

“What? What did I do?”

“You probably know her. I think she’s your age.”

“Oh … man …” I fought down another surge of nausea. “Sylvia Grandstone?” I tried to laugh when he nodded. Maybe I hadn’t been hallucinating, catching glimpses of Sylvia? “My condolences. I grew up with her. She did the town a big favor when she ran off to Hollywood and hasn’t looked back since.”

“Warning, she’s back in town, gunning for a June wedding.”

“I have some friends in the military who can probably get you into Witness Protection.”

Daniel’s grin looked a little more normal.

No comments: