Tuesday, February 23, 2021

New release sample: NIGHT OF THE LIVING PROOF

 

“Exactly what she said. I told her it was business-related, so she’d be bored, and we were still making arrangements.”

“Wimp.”

That got a grin from him. I thought maybe I had done my good deed for the day, helping him fight through the terror trying to smother him. If my still-nebulous suspicions were right.

“Have mercy?”

“Do I get to dump the Terry column and take back my sports beat?” I burst out laughing at the look of utter panic on his face. “I guess that’s a no. You know something? You make a pretty pathetic Evil Overlord.”

“A what?”

“That’s what I called you when you swept into the office back in November and rearranged everything on us.” I had to explain, since I had let that slip. What was wrong with me? Besides the fact that I actually liked fraternizing with the enemy?

“I’m not evil. I swear.”

“Gotta admit, you’re okay. For a rich guy. Even human,” I added, when that pitiful, begging look came back to his face. “The sign-up is at Eden.”

“You are saving my life.”

No comments: