Friday, October 1, 2021

New release sample: RETURN OF THE LIVING PROOF

 My phone rang. Angela.

"Loralee is here, highly agitated, and Maurice says you need to get out of wherever you are," she told me.

"Yeah, thanks. We were just figuring it out now." I glanced sideways at Pete. "We'll be right there. Sorry about that. I completely forgot we had an appointment."

"This is going to be interesting," Angela said, and hung up.

"You have no idea," I said, smiling as if I thought the person on the other end, who wasn't there anymore, could see me. "See you in five."

I tapped the red button on the phone, as if the connection was still open, and slipped my phone into my pocket. Just in time to stop my keychain from slipping out. Weird. I was always careful to get my keychain deep into my pocket before I got out of my Jeep. Thanks to that scare with the failed carjacker.

"I'm sorry," I told Kerri. "Totally messed up here. We've got an appointment on the other side of town. Could I take the contract with me and read it over and sign it at home, then bring it back tomorrow?" 

"Sorry, no can do. We need to have it notarized upon being signed. I'm a notary," she added with another sweet chuckle. Kerri slid the contract into a folder sitting on the far side of her desk and stood up. "When would be convenient for you to come --" She cut herself off with a snarly shriek.


No comments: