Friday, October 8, 2021

New release sample: RETURN OF THE LIVING PROOF

 

Cerb tore into the office again, as if she hadn't closed the door. Even as I thought that and turned to look, the door swung open, with no one touching it. I swallowed down a bubble of laughter that probably would have sounded half-hysterical if I had let it out. He jumped up onto an empty desk sitting on the other side of the room, then leaped from it to a stack of boxes. They immediately tipped over and flat lawn ornaments on stakes slid out and across the floor. Cerb rode the wave down, his legs going like a hamster in a wheel. Kerri shrieked, and her voice cracked and turned harsh as she lunged across the office. Two men darted in from the back room. They were both dressed all in black and looked somehow dusty and grimy, and just as pale as her. Cerb howled and ran faster, sending lawn ornaments flying in all directions for a few seconds. It looked like a Loony Tunes montage for a few seconds before he skittered down to the floor, got firm footing, and leaped up onto another desk.

Our eyes met, and he gave me a look that very clearly said, What are you waiting for, stupid?

I muffled a chuckle and turned to reach for that folder. Pete beat me to it. He grinned and handed me the contract. It stung my fingertips until I shoved it into the pocked on the side of my wheelchair, out of sight. I rubbed my fingers together, and half-expected to find them smoking or maybe red like a couple dozen bees had stabbed them. 

"Strategic retreat?" Pete grabbed the handles of my chair to pull me back from Kerri's desk before I could even inhale to respond with an intended, "Heck yeah!"

No comments: