Sunday, October 17, 2021

At the Movies: SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS

 

Marvel Studios does it again. Really, that's all you need to know.

Major fun movie. And do I need to point out how fun it is to see the trailers at the end of the movie, pointing at what's going to happen in future movies?

I'm not really "into" martial arts stuff. Maybe because my little brother is SO very much into Bruce Lee, and you can overdose on that stuff, know what I mean? But I'm glad my friend Barb asked if I wanted to see it. Practically a private showing.

Lots of grins, laughter, inside jokes, some silliness, and those tense moments where you're sitting forward in your seat and ready to grab the armrest. (Oh, dang, I folded up the armrest, there's nothing to hold onto!)

Shang-Chi -- known as Shaun by his friend, Katie (the voice of Sisu in Raya and the Last Dragon, and the thief girl in Jumanji: Next Level, who was a lot of fun "channeling" Danny Devito!) -- is basically living a dull life, getting by as a parking attendant and pretending to be a mild mannered, ordinary guy. Until he's attacked by a bunch of well-armed brutes on the bus on his way to work (fortunately, Katie is a great driver, because things get dicey!)  and he reveals he can out-Bruce Bruce. Why pick on him? They want the pendant his mother left him. Turns out it's half of a key to find the mystical land his mother came from. But there's a problem: namely, dear old Dad, who is several thousand years old, wearer and bearer of the Ten Rings, a retired warlord and world conqueror who temporarily gave up his conquest for domestic bliss ... until that bliss ended. How? Why? What does he want now with the pendant?

Nah .... ain't gonna tell you. Go watch the movie! Several times. You'll love it. Like I said, Marvel has done it again. I'm almost ready to forgive them for the downer ending to End Game. Almost.


No comments: