Tuesday, September 28, 2021

New release sample: RETURN OF THE LIVING PROOF

 

The dang contract was ten sheets of paper, printed front and back. In pretty small font. I estimated it was maybe eight point, comparing it to the font we used at the newspaper. She offered us both pens, and I half-expected to find out the ink was red.

I never found out what color the ink was.

Cerb came tearing into the building, frisking and wriggling and leaping up to put his front paws first on Pete's chest, then the arms of my chair. He pushed on my chair -- which was a pretty good trick, considering he pushed from the right side, but my chair started rolling backwards.

"Shoo! Get out! Where did that mangy thing come from?" Kerri's voice cracked as she stumbled out of her chair and reached for a phone book sitting on the shelving behind her desk. She heaved it at Cerb with pinpoint accuracy.

He dodged and the phone book bounced off my knee with a hard thwack-crack. I swore for a second that crack was my femur breaking. My whole leg went numb, or at least more numb than usual.

Kerri twitched the contract away, to the side extension of her desk, before racing after Cerb, who fled the building.

"Was that weird?" Pete whispered.

I just rolled my eyes at him. I couldn't say anything that I wanted to, because Kerri came back to her desk. She moved awfully fast, smoothly and silently, despite those high spike-heeled shoes on her feet.

"Sorry about that. I guess we're going to have to keep the door closed from now on, to stop mongrels wandering in." She shrugged and let out a giggle that sounded like wind chimes. 

A giggle did not belong in that office, any more than her warm voice belonged with the rest of the impressions I was gathering up about her. Like she was wearing a mask, or maybe even someone was dubbing another person's voice over hers.

No comments: