Friday, September 17, 2021

New release sample: RETURN OF THE LIVING PROOF

 

The next day was a half-day, a paper delivery day, so I agreed to pick up Pete after lunch and go down to the Pi office with him to sign the contract. If I didn't find anything weird about it. On the way there, I suggested that he consider getting a part-time job as an assistant circulation manager, overseeing the delivery boys and girls, since he didn't mind getting up really early. He just gave me a withering look. Ah, for the good old days when he considered everything I said as pure wisdom. Well, maybe not everything. The kid paid attention better when he still had a clear memory of being thrown off that balcony over the river in England, and me leaping off after him and flying us both to safety.

The corner beyond the Neighborlee Schools property was in that nebulous area between farms and park land, a section of road that ended up being the long way around no matter what the destination was. That contributed to hardly anyone using it. Hence the business-killing dearth of traffic. The last business in there had been a flower market, and from the state of the building, it looked like it had been closed for ten years, not three.

"How long have they been renovating this place?" I had to ask, pausing just a few seconds longer than necessary at the flashing yellow light in front of the schools parking lot entrance. There was no traffic coming from any direction, so I didn't really need to do more than coast to a near-stop and then make my turn. I came to a full stop anyway, and studied the building sitting kitty-corner so it turned the parking lot into a triangle. That had to be awkward maneuvering. Maybe that contributed to the deaths of the previous businesses.

"Maybe two weeks?" Pete shrugged. Then he frowned and blinked and shook his head.

"What?" I didn't like the hint of a dazed look in his eyes.

"Didn't really notice before …" Another shrug. "They're working on the inside, first."

No comments: