Tuesday, September 14, 2021

New release sample: RETURN OF THE LIVING PROOF

 

 "You could be the target again." He shrugged.

"Why wouldn't Cerb -- okay, why wouldn't Maurice tell me that's what Cerb was doing? What's different about now than last year?"

"Yeah, that's a consideration. Whatever was sneaking around, Cerb let them know they aren't getting in, they aren't doing anything." Harry scrubbed his face with his palms and let out a groan louder than Cerb had been. "Go back to sleep."

"Physician, heal thyself."

He stuck his tongue out at me and stepped into his apartment. A moment later the little light over the door turned off. I sat for a few moments longer, looking out over my yard, trying to hear or feel if anything was out of place. Then it occurred to me that the nightlight over the stove was bright enough to outline me in the doorway. Enough to make me a target.

Not a good feeling to have sitting on the threshold of my own house. I said a few silent prayers as I backed up and closed the door and made sure it was locked. When I turned to go down the hall, Cerb was sitting in the hallway, right by the little nightlight.

"Is it gone? Was it dangerous? Or just something being nosy?"

He thumped his tail against the wall a few times, then went to the guestroom door and nudged it open with his nose and went back in with Loralee. I muffled a chuckle. What sort of etiquette made him use the door when he was indoors, but when he was outdoors he didn't need to use a door?

I went back to bed and had a talk with God about all sorts of unanswered questions and the problem of not knowing the right questions, to help us figure out what was going on.


No comments: