Sunday, September 26, 2021

Off the Bookshelf: THE BATTLE FOR SKANDIA, by John Flanagan

 

Ranger's Apprentice Series, Book 4

Finally! Will and Evanlyn (Princess Cassandra) are one step closer to home. At long last, after a long winter in Skandia. Halt and Horace have found them, after some harrowing adventures of their own. 

Except of course there's an invading horde coming through Skandia, and the locals need to change their battle tactics, fast, if they have any hope of defending their land. Lucky for them there just happens to be a Ranger present. 

Maybe. Old friends and nemeses return for another gripping adventure as Will, and now a growing circle of friends, grow up and face challenges in a dangerous world. The ending was ... hmm, a little disappointing, and yet stays true to the characters and their society. Yet there is some hope -- isn't there? Can an orphan peasant-born boy rise high enough to be a worthy match for the future queen? Or is he too dedicated to his chosen path in life to realize who is watching him with longing, tear-filled eyes?

Or is that giving away too much? Well, lucky for me, I have 3 more books in the series sitting on my bedside table. Unfortunately, I don't get many nights when I can read myself to sleep. Ah, well, I must soldier on. The sacrifices we make to enjoy a favorite book series!


No comments: