Friday, September 24, 2021

New release sample: RETURN OF THE LIVING PROOF

 The boys jumped out of the car and looked around and recognized us. They waved. Pete waved back. Then he cringed.

"They're here to sign contracts too?" I asked. He nodded. "They're two years older than you. They probably don't need an adult. Want me to stay out here until they're gone?"

He rolled his eyes and made that little grunting sound that usually stood in for a lot of things that he either couldn't or didn't dare put into words. This time I interpreted it as, "Thanks for not embarrassing me in front of the guys."

Pete got out and went into the building after the other two. I took my time getting out of my Jeep and pulling my wheelchair out of the back seat. They came out just as I dropped down into my seat and reached to push the door closed. They waved, I waved back, and waited as they pulled out of the driveway. A few memories made me smile. I had loved the feeling of independence I had with that beater car. I was glad it was still alive and serving another generation of high school kids learning to spread their wings. I just hoped my car would refuse to function when those boys chose to do something stupid.

I wheeled into the building. The door was propped halfway open. Once I got around it and could look inside, I had to admit Pete was right. The renovations were all interior for now. Fresh paint stung the air and brightened the inside. That wasn't dirt on the inside of the windows, but sheer curtains, kind of a grayish, peach-ish shade I wasn't sure I liked. Carpet squares covered the floor and seemed to grab at my wheels for a few seconds as I went to the far right of the door, where Pete stood in front of a desk. 

The woman sitting there wore one of those power suits, all sharp angles and sleek lines, in a glossy, gray-black material. She was one of those pale blondes who would only need some blood-red lipstick and black eyeliner to be a convincing vampire in cosplay. Her name was Kerri, and her skin felt just a little too chill when we shook hands. Her smile was bright and warm, and so was her voice, and they just didn't seem to go with the rest of her. Yet she was polite, friendly, and apologized for the "silly legal necessities" that needed me to co-sign the contract with Pete.

No comments: