Thursday, February 9, 2023

Off the Bookshelf: THE COMPLETE SOOKIE STACKHOUSE STORIES, by Charlaine Harris

 

Okay, let's be honest, I'm just not into vampire stories or vampire romance, or anything that paints bloodsuckers as heroes. Especially romantic heroes. Morning breath is bad enough, but morning breath with blood on it? Ewwwww!

That being said, I've heard enough praise for and enjoyment of the Sookie Stackhouse books, and the True Blood TV show, I was willing to give this collection of short stories and novellas a chance. Especially when I learned this is the author of my favorite murder-solving librarian, Aurora Teagarden. And yeah, I found the book at Ollie's ... what booklover can resist a sale price?

When I finally picked it up off my to-be-read-bookshelf and started reading ... I devoured it. Fun, well-written, thought-provoking in places. 

What I found especially enjoyable were the foreword pieces by the author, giving readers a solid marker for where each story fits into the long story arch of Sookie's adventures, and character and relationship development. One tough chick with a sense of irony and humor, who's still very human despite the company she keeps.

Did I mention I devoured this book? I mean, picked it up after dinner Wednesday night, and finished reading it 12:30am Friday ... yeah. Haven't done THAT in years. Thanks for the adventure!



No comments: