Tuesday, February 28, 2023

New Release: DANCING ON MY GRAVE


 “I hope you don’t mind,” Becca said, when Devona had gone ahead of them, and they slowed down to take the four steps. “I’m just too tired to … to fight for him.”

“Oh, my dear girl.” Sarah squeezed her hand. “I don’t blame you in the least. I don’t much like Conrad right now, myself. He calls me ‘Granny.’ When did he pick that up?” She shook her head. “Until that boy gets his head out of his backside, I wouldn’t inflict him on anyone. Let’s give him a few weeks to straighten out and realize that sparkly, jangly little two-stepper isn’t right for him.” She winked when her words got a snort of laughter from Becca. “Then we’ll make him work a little while for our forgiveness. If he doesn’t straighten out … well, I’m still of sound mind and body, and nobody has a legal leg to stand on if I decide to give the company to someone else. Ever considered becoming a landlord?”

“Me?” She caught her breath, forcing a laugh when the words actually brought a stab under her breastbone.

Becca most certainly had considered going into the landlord business. When she thought she and Conrad would become business partners, then partners in a much deeper, more personal aspect. She shrugged, helped Sarah up the stairs, and fought not to let a different image fill her mind: Simone working alongside Conrad, changing policies at Fontaine Realty, offending clients, giving management jobs to her relatives, and ruining the reputation that Albert and Sarah had worked so hard to establish. 

For Sarah’s sake, she might just consider it.

No comments: