Tuesday, May 31, 2022

New release sample: THE LIVING PROOF GETS THE BLUES

 

"Now I know what you go through," he said, once the doors had closed and we were heading down the hall again to the church office.

"Who?" Daniel said.

"Lanie. With her dreams." He rested a hand on my shoulder and walked with me as I wheeled down the hall. Not an easy thing to do, but it helped that he had long arms, otherwise there was a risk of my running over his foot once or twice.

"What did you dream, exactly?"

"That door creaking, and you two coming in and looking like you were about to tell me the Grandstones finally found legitimate reasons for throwing us out of the church." He managed a coughing kind of laugh. "But it was all tied up with that Magna Magma concert he wants."

Daniel choked. That got a frown from Pastor Rocky.

The moment we walked into the front of the church office, the lights came back on. Pastor Rocky looked up at the ceiling, where one of the fluorescent tubes flickered, and his lips moved, silently counting. He shuddered when the flickers stopped, then offered us a crooked grin. 

"In my dream, the light flickered like that ten times. This was only six times, so I guess we're still safe from the Grandstones." He took a deep breath and let go of my shoulder, to move ahead of us down the hallway with staff offices on either side, to where his office sat on the end.

No comments: