Tuesday, May 17, 2022

New release sample: THE LIVING PROOF GETS THE BLUES

 

We got to a stop sign and Daniel leaned over to look. I showed him the phone. All I had to do was hold it, while Sherwood scrolled through the images. Pastor Rocky and Marty scowled at the camera, looking like they did in the pictures from the band's glory days. Except …

Except they were wearing current clothes. None of the grunge rock outfits. Black t-shirts and jeans and cowboy boots and black leather jackets. Their hair was short -- well, Father Marty had hair, period. The man I had been running into when he practiced with Pastor Rocky's retro band wore the typical Friar Tuck haircut, glossy dome with a straggly fringe. In all the pictures I had seen from Pastor Rocky's boxes of memorabilia, they had had long hair, past their shirt pockets -- if they wore shirts at all.

"This is a story that was slated to release next week," Sherwood said, when Daniel sat up and continued driving to the church.

"How did you get hold of it ahead of time?" Daniel asked.

"I didn't. It was released in reaction to an accident last night. Read."

My phone showed a series of newspaper articles and police reports and online news bytes. Sherwood didn't give me time to read much more than the headlines and a few of the first lines. I didn't want to read more than that, because the headlines and lead lines told me the whole story.

Magna Magma's tour bus had collided head-on with a semi hauling a fuel tanker. There were no survivors.

Okay, we were going to comfort Pastor Rocky on the tragic deaths of his former friends. So why were we trying to get there before Father Marty? 

My phone display stopped on the final article, and I realized I was wrong. There was a whole lot more to last night's accident.

No comments: