Tuesday, May 10, 2022

New release sample: THE LIVING PROOF GETS THE BLUES

 

It was the day after the third reunion concert. I knew the schedule because Pastor Rocky tried to stay on top of things, to have us praying for his former friends. He had a bad feeling about the whole situation, how the whole concert came together, the nastiness of the Lavaheads, and especially how the organizers for the tour had found him. How difficult was it to get through three false identities to track someone down?

Sherwood contacted me at work. It was a Tuesday, paper delivery day, and I had just gotten to my desk. My computer screen lit up with his face on it. Pretty neat trick, since I hadn't turned on my computer yet. The little light in the camera lit up and he looked around the office before speaking. Which was a relief, because I was bent down to pick up a pack of flag stickers I had knocked onto the floor and didn't see him watching me for a few seconds.

"Lanie, Pastor Rocky is going to need you," Sherwood said. "Right away. I have bad news to give him."

"What kind of bad news?" Honestly, my first thought was that Stephen Grandstone was on his way to the church with a car loaded with Magna Magma memorabilia and a couple machine guns.

"According to the news, Pastor Rocky should be dead."

 "What?" Somehow, I managed not to shriek that word.

"Just go. I'll tell you in the car. Father Marty is reading the news on his computer right now, and we want Pastor Rocky to know before he tells him." 

"Okay, I'm going." I turned my wheelchair away from my desk, and nearly forgot to grab my backpack, which I had slung onto my desk to unload it. Kind of needed my backpack, because it had my keys.

No comments: