Tuesday, May 24, 2022

New release sample: THE LIVING PROOF GETS THE BLUES

 

When we came in the back door by the church office, Vivian was hurrying down the hall away from us, trying to keep up with Gabe McIntosh, our head custodian. All the lights were off in the office, but not in the hallway. Okay, so now we knew how Sherwood was keeping Father Marty from reaching Pastor Rocky before we did.

"They're kind of scary, you know?" Daniel murmured, as we slowed and watched Vivian and Gabe vanish down the hallway, probably heading for the utility room at the other end of the church. I knew all the back rooms and hallways and storage rooms, from part-time custodian jobs in high school.

"Yeah, but it's good to have them on our side," I said, and turned my phone to look at the blank screen and make a face, betting myself that Sherwood was listening and watching.

I was right. A cartoon of Groucho Marx flashed on my screen, waggling his huge eyebrows and his big cigar, and saying, "With friends like these, who needs enemas?"

Daniel laughed, then he sighed and straightened his shoulders and looked around. "So, what do we do? Just go in and hope he isn't busy?" 

"Doing what? No computer, no phone." I checked my watch. "He's probably still in the sanctuary with the prayer vigil team. The current shift isn't done for another fifteen, twenty minutes."

No comments: