Sunday, January 9, 2022

Off the Bookshelf: THE IDEA, by Erik Bork

 

Writing Book

I heard about this book listening to the Story Blender, a podcast by Steven James.

The subtitle is: The Seven Elements of a Viable Story for Screen, Stage, or Fiction

Each chapter devoted to the elements has a checklist to go through, to see if you're providing the element, meeting the criteria for making your script or book the best it can be. Translation: the most salable, readable, watchable product for the producer or publisher to support.

A sample from the Table of Contents: 

Chapter 1: Focus on the idea. The 60/30/10 Rule, The Problem, How "High" is Your Concept? and Nailing the Logline. 

Chapter 2: Punishing. Degree of Difficulty, Great Stories Are Like Great Games, Adapting True Stories, Television and the "Web of Conflict."

On and on. Intense. This is one of those books I'm going to have to read several times to get everything out of it, and refresh what I've learned in my mind, so I can apply it to the brainstorming and revising process.

Glad I bought it, and definitely keeping in my library.

No comments: