Friday, January 21, 2022

New release sample: DAWN OF THE LIVING PROOF

 "What happened?" Mum demanded, before I finished saying hello.

"The doppelganger showed up here. Kurt and Jane chased it. They're still chasing it, as far as I know."

In the background, as she repeated what I had just said, I heard the grumble of the trusty old VW minibus that had been old when Mum and Pop adopted me.

"We saw something, but we didn't know what it was, too much light, too much warping."

"How?" I aimed myself for the refrigerator. The spikes in my temples needed a good dose of chocolate milk before they got any deeper and met up with the corkscrew aching sensation coming up through my stomach.

"We went back to Divine's with Angela and Maurice and Holly, to talk." Mum sighed. "And see if there was anything we could find in some of those very esoteric books she keeps locked up. Angela and I both got a feeling that something was wrong with you. Maurice persuaded the Wishing Ball to show us what was happening. There was a figure in your doorway and -- Lanie, why did you open the door?"

"It couldn't get in. It needed me to let it in." I nearly laughed as I realized what had happened. It really was like in the rules laid down by Buffy: vampires can't get in where they aren't welcome. The doppelganger had gone right through the fence and those cars, but couldn't get into my house … because I hadn't welcomed it or invited it in. "Where are you?"

"We're about to turn into your neighborhood."

"Okay, let me pull out supplies for a long talk. I really need to get off my feet. The back door's open."


No comments: