Tuesday, January 18, 2022

New release sample: DAWN OF THE LIVING PROOF

 

Kurt and Jane sped after it, joining hands a second before they vanished, enclosed by the Ghost field. I stood there long enough the cold air through the screen door penetrated my pajamas. My shivering combined with my wobbling knees and aching feet and tired thighs to send me sliding down the frame of the door to the floor. Real good.

I scooted back away from the door far enough to shove it closed with my mind. That kind of hurt, meaning my mental punch to the doppelganger took a lot more energy than I intended. I got up onto my knees enough to flip the light switch and got the door locked again. Then I sagged back against the wall to catch my breath.

Okay, I was on the floor in the living room. My options were to crawl to the kitchen, where I could pull myself up and navigate by holding onto chairs and counters. That made sense to me, because I was going to need to chow down on something before my reaction headache hit. Best bet was chocolate milk and trail mix, and then those to-die-for treats Jane and Felicity and Holly and I had created when we were goofing around a week ago. Little Debbie oatmeal cream pies, sandwiched together with peanut butter, dipped in melted chocolate.

And why was I sitting there, thinking about food, when I should be getting into the kitchen before my head started throbbing and my stomach clenched so tightly I couldn't move for the cramps? 

I went on my hands and knees. Not as bad as I had feared. I got into the kitchen and pulled myself up by holding onto the closest chair. I was slightly out of breath and fighting a little vertigo, which worried me, when my phone rang. I nearly burst into tears when I saw the call was from Mum. That told me more clearly than my shaking legs and aching head that I had really strained myself with that doppelganger.

No comments: