Sunday, May 23, 2021

Off the Bookshelf: THE ICEBOUND LAND, by John Flanagan

 

The Ranger's Apprentice series, Book 3

Aauugghh!

Warning: if you're a fan of the series and you expected Will and Evanlyn to be rescued by the end of the book, to be headed home from Skandia ... don't hold your breath.

Yes, Evanlyn is in the process of rescuing them both, with some help from an unexpected quarter, but Will has now been separated from his master, Ranger Halt, for two entire books.

And I have to wait until my A Libris order arrives with books 4, 5, and 6 before I can find out how and when they get home! (Sorry, I know I said I wouldn't buy any more books, not even used books, until my to-be-read skyscraper lowers by a couple of floors, but ... well, I need to know!)

Will and Evanlyn ended book 2 as prisoners, heading for Skandia and slavery. Halt and apprentice knight Horace set out on the road in book 3 to make their way to Skandia to try to find the two and bring them home. Unfortunately, they have an entire country full of unchivalrous knights standing between them and their goal -- and then winter sets in, making travel, and eventual escape, even harder.

This reminds me why I often hate the second movie of any trilogy -- things are just left hanging, with a little hope that our heroes will survive and triumph, but ... frustration!


No comments: