Tuesday, May 11, 2021

New release sample: BRIDE OF THE LIVING PROOF

 

That Monday, I was on the phone with Athena. She was a little giddy with excitement about how quickly things were coming together for her trip out to stay with Bethany. Despite her increasing involvement in the weird and wonderful aspects of living in Neighborleee, Athena sounded like a normal college girl planning a trip to hang out with her rising star best friend. I was at my desk at the newspaper and Athena was walking from her dorm to the closest cafeteria on campus.


"Hey, jerk!" she yelped, over the sudden grumble of an engine and what sounded suspiciously like deep slush splashing.


"What happened?"


"Some creep decided to step on the gas going through that huge crater at the -- Hey!"


I heard thuds and feet splashing and a clatter-bang. Athena shrieked that particular fury sound that reminded me of the self-defense classes Gordon had insisted on for our Star Trek club members. Yes, all members, male and female. He figured some of the guys were skinny enough geeks they would get picked on even more than the girls. Along with the self-defense lessons came a course in using volume to increase fierceness.


Athena was a good student.


I sat there, unable to help, because I didn't know where she was. The heck with the rule about not using my superhero powers in daylight. The heck with my inability to really fly since the power drain that had started before Stephanie died, and my broken back and … but wait, the power was coming back, wasn't it? Maybe the tingles in my legs meant I was healing? I hadn't tried walking since I realized I was getting more feeling in my legs. Maybe …?

No comments: