Tuesday, May 25, 2021

New release sample: BRIDE OF THE LIVING PROOF

 

"What happened? Someone said you were hurt?"


"The slimebags knocked me down, trying to take my computer. I'm okay. My clothes are wet, but I'm okay. They didn't get my computer." She laughed a little unsteadily.


"End of the world as we know it. Want me to call Ford? Or Charlotte?"


"Maybe you should." She sighed. "Campus police just showed up, and it's that ink-for-blood regulation-bound weasel at the wheel, which means reports in triplicate."


The baritone voice started arguing with someone in the background, insisting Athena needed to get checked by a doctor before she gave reports.


I grinned and about half my tension dropped off, because if Athena could say what she did about the one-and-only Julia Irving, head of campus security (voted most likely to bankrupt the college from too much paper-pushing), then she was all right. She might be wet, she might have fallen down, she might be upset about having to fight to protect her computer, but she wasn't hurt, and she wasn't scared.


"Who is that guy?" I had to ask, as the baritone voice got louder, drowning out Julia's whiny voice. She certainly sounded like the chittering of a weasel, and all the slinking, self-righteous little sidekicks of despots ever portrayed in movies.


"I'm not sure, but he does look familiar."


Within two hours, an outraged Ford Longfellow reported that Athena's knight errant was none other than Freddie Grandstone.

No comments: