Tuesday, May 18, 2021

New release sample: BRIDE OF THE LIVING PROOF

 

Then I heard an unfamiliar baritone voice shouting through the scuffling and deep splashing of multiple feet in slush. At least I had a better idea where Athena was on the campus. There was only one place where slush was deep on the sidewalks, and where the sidewalks were next to deep craters in the road and --


Heck with it, I was going to help Athena. I got to my feet, braced against my desk, and took a deep breath to concentrate and try to remember what it felt like when I could kinda-sorta fly. I needed a running start, though, if I was going to fly without Kurt taking control. That meant I needed to get outside. Oh, heck. Well, at least my legs were steady. Could I get to the door without triggering heart attacks in whoever was still in the office?


By then, the shouting stopped, and I heard the rumbling of an engine gunning as a car raced away, and that baritone voice was asking if Athena was all right.


"Let me take you to the hospital? They hit you." Followed by some semi-mild expletives.


"Athena!" I shouted, and wished I had Kurt's ability to zap electronics and give them extra power. I was determined to make myself heard. "Athena, are you all right? Who's there? What happened to her? Who --"


"I'm okay," Athena shouted over my shouting. 


Several of my co-workers came running up one ramp or down another, from different sections of the building. Not one of my more dignified moments, but I didn't care. Athena was as close as I was ever going to get to having a kid of my own, I figured.

No comments: