Saturday, July 27, 2024

Book Report: A SYMPHONY OF ECHOES, by Jodi Taylor


 Chronicles of St. Mary's, Book 2

Warning: I've been binge listening. I was able to get quite a few of Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St. Mary's short stories for free on Audible (yeah, that's a hint to go look) and I got addicted to this slightly crazy, somewhat accident-prone (somewhat??) group of British historians studying history via time travel -- although they don't want to say "time travel," but insist on saying they're studying history in contemporary settings.

Great fun, just like the first book. This episode starts with our narrator and heroine, Dr. Maxwell -- better known simply as Max -- relating how she and her soon-to-retire-to-academia friend, encountered Jack the Ripper on a foggy London back street, and how they both nearly didn't survive the experience. Love the dry British wit, and how they react to so much stress and bizareness with a good strong cup of tea ...

Then there's a trip to investigate the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, which turn out to be the product of false advertising, and nearly get framed for the murder of Sennacherib. I'm not telling you more, because you have to read or listen to this for yourself. Great fun -- and I'm sooooo very glad I bought two books at the same time, so I could keep listening!


No comments: