Friday, January 20, 2023

Upcoming release sample: DANCING ON MY GRAVE

 

“You sure?”

“The way I see it, this can only do me good. Get out of town, away from the whole political machine before Prince Roger can drag me in.”

“Does that mean you’re planning on running for trustee?” Eden perked up. “Finally?”

“I’m considering it. The best way to keep my nose clean is make it hard for him to set me up for some public humiliation, like he used to do when we were kids.” Conrad shrugged. “Then there’s the whole mess with Becca.”

“What’s wrong with her?”

“Total silence. I’m hoping it’s just Internet stupidity, emails getting lost in the ether, and Simone isn’t up to the mental games she was playing in middle school before she went mental. She’s gotten hacked at me for no reason, just out of the blue confronts me and yells at me for not calling or stopping by when I said I would. I never said I would. Ever. I avoid her.”

“Yeah, that’s a good reason to get out of town,” she murmured.

“And Rufus doesn’t need me breathing down his neck while he’s trying to figure out what’s wrong with the company computers, and on which end.”

“He’s the best.”

“You ought to know, you trained him.”

“I can’t take all the credit.” Eden shook her head. “The guy’s a genius, he just needs a few road signs. Sometimes you have to whack him over the head with the road signs, because like a lot of geniuses, he can be oblivious when it comes to common sense, but … yeah, he’s got a great future ahead of him. Just as long as the CIA doesn’t drag him away into some clandestine operation.”

“Yeah, he’s a good kid. Glad he’s family. He and Devona are good for Grandma. I’m glad their mom came into her life when she did, needing a family. They sure needed her, when my long-lost uncles cut them off.”

No comments: