Sunday, February 20, 2022

Off the Bookshelf: SHROUD OF DARKNESS, by Deborah Cullins Smith

 

The Last of the Long-Haired Hippies series, Book 1

As the author will tell you, I don't really choose to pick up dark fantasy, or anything tending toward horror. Although I did add a book on writing Christian horror to my writing library. Just to be prepared if a book slammed me across the back of the head, demanding to be written.

The Last of the Long-Haired Hippies is a three-volume set that grows in darkness and tension as the story progresses. I know this because the author told me so. And dang it, as soon as I finished book 1 I pulled book 2 off the to-be-read leaning tower of impending avalanche to start reading immediately. Because the story snagged me.

This is Victoria's story of healing, and being dragged unwilling into exploring her rebellious past. A runaway flight at sixteen across country to San Francisco and the hippie movement and a time in Woodstock. All the darkness that was planted in those days now is coming to surround her and haunt her small town, and destroy lives.

It begins in small ways, with a little boy looking for his missing puppy, and finding it brutally killed in what looks like an occult ritual. And the nasty shock when Victoria prepares to welcome a rising star author to her bookstore and discovers the man whole stole her innocence and nearly dragged her down with him.

That's all I'm gonna tell you. Prepare for rapid-fire book reviews every week until this series is done, because I'm not going to be reading anything else until this story comes to its end.

And yeah, the author is a friend. But that's not why this story caught my dip-one-toe-in-the-water-in-fear-of-sharks attention. It's good. 

No comments: