Tuesday, February 15, 2022

New release sample: DAWN OF THE LIVING PROOF

 

However, something had effectively closed a heavy door on the signals for our three phones. The link still functioned, just strong enough to know we were there, but nothing could get through. My signal had cut off when I went to the door to confront the doppelganger. Kurt and Jane's phone links got squeezed, or maybe strangled would be a more appropriate word, when they crossed the border, in their effort to follow the doppelganger.

"So how do we get it back?" Kurt put his phone down on the table next to my tablet, where Sherwood's image gave a very good impression of a sleepless night.

"We're working on it." He glanced off-screen, which really wasn't necessary, since he wasn't physically anywhere.

Just to show how my brain was starting to fog up and not all the cylinders were firing in synch, I wondered just how many mannerisms London and Sherwood had picked up from us. Was it conscious? Was it deliberate mimicry? Was it something they couldn't control, and they were becoming more like their models, Doni and Cosmo, every day?

The screen split and London appeared in the right half. She was wearing her favorite outfit of black Greek fisherman's cap, black sweater and multiple fine silver chains. Actually, that was Athena's favorite outfit about a year ago. So what did that say about the AI's mimicry? 

Yeah, I really needed to get horizontal and turn off the lights before my brain entirely imploded. I was getting sidetracked a little too easily.


No comments: