Sunday, February 27, 2022

At the Movies: DEATH ON THE NILE, by Agatha Christie and Kenneth Branagh

 

Played hooky from several deadline projects the other day and went to a matinee of DEATH ON THE NILE.

I know I saw the version with Peter Ustinov as Hercule Poirot, but it was so long ago I couldn't remember anything about the story except it took place in Egypt, on a boat, someone died, and Poirot was quirky and brilliant.

WOW ...

Lavish, lush set, gorgeous costumes, all-star cast and brilliant director. Well, duh, knew that already, because I saw the first Branagh-as-Poirot outing, MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS.

The two hours went fast, and the story and acting and pacing just picked me up and carried me along to the stunning finish. Ouch ... now I need to read the book and find out just how closely the script followed the book, because you know Hollywood, everyone involved has to leave their fingerprints on the project, and changes to suit an agenda seem to be encouraged. (Don't get me started about the total gutting job done on Andre Norton's science fiction book, Beastmaster, when it was turned into a sword-and-sorcery flick. Bleah ....)

But bottom line: no matter what changes were made, this is a gorgeous, stunning film, well worth escaping the winter bleahs and blahs to experience.

No comments: