Thursday, May 4, 2023

Off the Bookshelf: NICE DRAGONS FINISH LAST, by Rachel Aaron

 

Heartstriker series #1

Wry humor, constantly rising stakes, an incredible new zoology thanks to the weirdness of rogue magic, and the incredible worldbuilding where Detroit has turned into a wild west of magic. Love the DFZ books. 

I guess I'm reading backward, because I started with Minimum Wage Magic, and this seems to have come before it, with Heartstriker #1.

Aaron makes you care about her characters from the beginning. Which is good, because poor Julius needs someone rooting for him, from almost before the story begins. The runt of the litter, he's managed to survive by being quiet and lying low -- until his mother, Bethesda Heartstriker, who has dragon-sized ambitions (naturally) locks him into his human form and throws him into the one place on the planet where dragons are outlawed, and gives him a month to prove he's a real dragon (whatever that is) or he'll probably end up a midnight snack. For her!

Things seem to improve, only slightly, when he meets a mage named Darcy -- until all her problems, starting with a gangster on her tail, catch up with them. One simple little job, to start proving himself, turns into a nail-biting adventure that could get them both killed a dozen times over. Then dragon politics get involved and things get really dicey ...

Fun. I'm addicted. Thank goodness I have another Audible credit in my account, because once I catch up on my podcasts, I'll need another dose of the DFZ and dragons.

No comments: