Sunday, July 10, 2022

Off the Bookshelf: INTUITIVE EDITING, by Tiffany Yates Martin

 

This is our June book for the Great Lakes Fiction Writers craft book club.

Thanks to whoever first suggested this book. A LOT to learn, new angles that make me rethink how I've been editing for years. This helps me see the process in new ways -- and make me more alert to things that I might have been doing automatically, without thinking about them.

This book approaches the whole editing process in a methodical, step-by-step fashion that takes apart a book and puts each piece under a microscope.

Or, in the author's words, starts with an x-ray ... and goes even more in-depth.

Wow. A little intimidating, a lot to take in and consider. Writing is both an art and a craft. Books like these help us refine our craft. Just because my approach doesn't match the one outlined in this book doesn't mean I'm doing it wrong, because the "art" portion of writing means we have to find what works best for each of us. 

If we're smart, we keep learning and growing and adapting. This is a book I wish I'd read years ago. It crystalizes a lot of practices and principles I know I follow, maybe without thinking about why. But it sure helps to be able to put them into words at long last.

Many thanks to Tiffany Yates Martin.


No comments: