Sunday, August 22, 2021

Off the Bookshelf: ODD THOMAS:: YOU ARE DESTINED TO BE TOGETHER FOREVER, by Dean Koontz

 

Audiobook, Audible

Narrated by David Aaron Baker

This short audiobook acts as a nice introduction to the character of Odd Thomas, a fry cook who can see the spirits of the restless dead.

The story starts with teenage Thomas and his sweetheart, Stormy Llewellyn, who just want to go to the carnival and have some fun. The restless spirit of Elvis hitches a ride in the back seat, but that's all right because Stormy is in the front seat and she can't see him anyway. It's a good thing Elvis is there, even though he can't talk to Thomas -- they have to communicate with signs -- because he's there to help the ghost of a recently murdered man who flags them down on the way to the carnival. Investigating what happened, and trying to satisfy the new ghost's hunger for justice gets in the way of the date. For a short time, anyway.

I've heard about Odd Thomas for years, and I keep meaning to pick up one of the books. I'm glad I picked up this one. More will follow. Someday ... when I excavate my way through my to-be-read piles, and piles, and piles ....


No comments: