Tuesday, August 31, 2021

New release sample: SHRUNK: THE EXILE OF MAURICE

 

Holly sat on bench and Robin Hood knelt at her feet, trying to get hold of her hand. Not Errol Flynn, Kevin Costner or Cary Elwes, but suspiciously like the guy from the BBC version where Paul Darrow from Blake's 7 played the Sheriff. That just proved her very good taste. When Maurice walked through the sparkling hole in the hedge, she stopped resisting. Robin Hood got hold of her hand and raised it to his lips.


"Oh, please. This is getting really old." Mischief sparkled in her eyes as she watched Maurice approach.


He got a funny, hollow sensation in the pit of his stomach. How long had it been since someone was glad to see him?


"But, my darling..." Robin Hood whined.


"Aren't you forgetting somebody?" Maurice had to ask. For the fun of it, he swept off his cap again and bowed to Holly.


"Who are you?" Robin Hood barely glanced over his shoulder. "Begone. My lady and I wish to be alone."


"I'm not your lady." Holly yanked her hand free and stood up.


Robin Hood followed her as she circled the bench.


"The lady wants you to scram, so scram." Maurice stepped between them.


"I know not who you are," Robin Hood rested a hand on the hilt of his sword, "but you would be wise--"


"Yeah, that's me. The wise guy. That's how I got in this mess in the first place." He grabbed Robin by his shoulders and gave him a heave-ho though the closest hedge wall.


Holly laughed and applauded. "You have no idea what a nuisance he can be. If I don't get rid of him fast enough, Maid Marion shows up, and she fights dirty."


"But--" For a moment, he felt dizzy with the contradictions and questions colliding in his brain. "If you know this is a dream... You know you're in charge here, don't you?"


"I know, but if I use the power too much, all the magic goes away. It's more fun to follow the rules, you know? Figure things out the hard way. And I need all the magic I can get my hands on."


"Yeah, you and me both, kid." He bowed and offered her his bent arm again. "Shall we?" 


"Thank you, kind sir."

No comments: