Friday, July 9, 2021

New release sample: SHRUNK: THE EXILE OF MAURICE

 "Come on, sweetheart." Allistair chuckled when Jo evaded his grip. His breath smelled like a whiskey factory. "Look, mistletoe. Company policy. Gotta kiss under it." He gestured up at the ceiling and nearly lost his balance.

Jo glared up at the mistletoe, positive now it did follow her. She almost didn't see Allistair make another lunge at her.

"Get off me, you sleazebag!" She spun and brought her knee up, just like she'd seen in a ridiculous martial arts movie last week. Despite being forty pounds heavier than the willowy heroine, she easily hit her target. Then she told herself she'd aimed for Allistair's gut, not ten inches lower.

He oophed and folded over with satisfying speed.

She backed away, heading for the door, and tripped over the lounge chair in a conversation grouping.

Note to self: never walk backwards when in dangerous situations.

"If you walk out of here without giving me what I want," Allistair wheezed, "then don't come to work on Monday."

"You don't have that kind of authority." Jo didn't sound as confident as she wanted. From the smug grin replacing the agony on Allistair's face, he'd heard it in her voice.

"Babycakes, I stole old Kenny's woman and I got his promotion. I always get what I want and nobody ever catches me. You play nice and you give me what I want, or you're canned. And I'll make sure good old Ken gets the blame for all the embezzling I've been doing the last four years." He cackled when dismay crossed her face. "That got you, didn't it? Yeah, I have to hold onto that skinny witch just to beat old Ken, but that doesn't mean I have to suffer for it."

"Witch?" Brittney squealed, and leaped across the room.

Jo darted out of her way and stumbled into another chair.

No, it wasn't a chair.

That was Ken, wrapping his arms around her.

"Are you okay?" His arms were strong and warm and his breath smelled nice and he had such gorgeous eyes, so warm and concerned.

"Yeah. Great." She knew she was grinning like a fool. It didn't matter, because Ken was grinning like a fool now, too.

Allistair and Brittney snarled and screamed at each other, oblivious to their audience, until security arrived with suspicious speed, as if they had been waiting for this moment.

No comments: