Tuesday, July 6, 2021

New release sample: SHRUNK: THE EXILE OF MAURICE

 

"When I was younger, we'd call that tactic 'cruising for a bruising,'" Mr. Myerhausen remarked as the Pittsburgh contingent moved away to refresh their drinks.

Ken turned and saw Allistair creeping through the crowd. Ahead of his nemesis, Jo beat a hasty retreat.

"You have my permission to break something vital," Mrs. Myerhausen growled. Her husband gaped at her for a moment, then burst out laughing.

Jo slipped into one of the side rooms, Allistair right behind her.

"Excuse me, sir." Ken hurried after them. Mr. Myerhausen chuckled, and it warmed him to know the old man approved.

Halfway around the perimeter of the room, a red-nailed hand latched onto his arm and pulled him off balance. Ken muffled a curse and caught himself before he swung and popped Brittney in her heavily made-up face.

Tears made her eyes seem twice as large and her bottom lip quivered. "Ken, how could you?" she wailed in her baby-doll voice.

Ken looked around. People were watching, just as he had always feared. However, the looks of disgust were cast at Brittney and the pity was aimed at him. He had always thought it would be the other way around. He laughed as he realized what an idiot he had been for so long, restrained by his fear.

"How can you laugh when you hurt me so badly?" She yanked back her hand as if burned.

"What did I do? Besides sign the divorce papers you filed?" He turned his back on her and continued across the room.

"I just wanted you to prove you really loved me." Her high heels clattered on the tiles as she followed him.

"Oh, yeah, that's logical," someone muttered from behind Ken.

The crowd parted before him, making him wonder what sort of expression he wore. He picked up the pace, and Brittney kept up. How did she manage to run on those toothpick heels? Those claws latched onto his arm. He turned, twisting to free it.

"Ken, honey, you have to listen to me."

"No, I don't. We're not married anymore." He tried to step around her. Brittney slid over, blocking his path.

"But I want you back!" She grabbed onto his arms again.

"I don't want you back." He jerked free.

Brittney stumbled backwards and hit the wall, only three feet away. "You'll pay for that," she snarled, all the helpless squeaks and wails gone. "I'll have you thrown in jail for beating me."

"Is that what's under all that makeup? Allistair's been beating you, but you're afraid to report him to the police?"

"Allistair adores me. He would never lay a hand on me."

Mr. Myerhausen caught up with them, with his wife right behind him. "Then why are you chasing Mr. Jenkins? Haven't you heard the old phrase, what goes around comes around?"

"You don't understand," Brittney wailed, switching back to her helpless mode.

"I understand completely. I may be old, but that helps me see far more clearly than manipulative, self-centered witches such as you give me credit for." His chuckle was cold when Brittney gasped. Her eyes widened and she went pale under her heavy makeup. "Ken, my lad, we should rescue your young lady and have these two party-crashers handled by security." He caught hold of Brittney's arm when she tried to slither past him, and gestured for Ken to lead the way.


No comments: