Friday, January 8, 2021

New release sample: NIGHT OF THE LIVING PROOF

 Yeah, right, like Divine’s Emporium wasn’t the safest place in the entire town, if the snake attacked?

Yet Athena and Doni had been sleeping over at Divine’s when the snake attacked them. Athena had stepped through a wall into another dimension, tricked into thinking Doni was in danger. There were weak spots, even at Divine’s. Stephanie’s death and my broken back proved the energy defending our town was weakening. Continually fading on us.

I slathered more salve on my hives, waited until it was nearly dry, got dressed, and headed for Divine’s Emporium. My dreams likely meant I had been eavesdropping on the enemy’s intentions. The guardians needed to consult with Angela. Felicity had sensed something was wrong, and she was awake and dressed and ready to go when I came outside. She met me at my Jeep. I wanted so much to hear how her Christmas with Jake went. The fact that she wasn’t shimmering with excitement meant she didn’t get that engagement ring. Instead, she made me tell her about my dreams.

Kurt’s truck was sitting in the lot next to Divine’s when we arrived. I pulled up and parked at the curb in front of the gate, behind a now-familiar sedan with a discrete military sticker in the window. A powdered sugar snow was falling as I slid out of the driver’s seat and braced myself on the door. My head throbbed when I prepared to pull my wheelchair out of the car with telekinesis. I couldn’t do it with my arms because I still ached in all my joints. Felicity told me to wait, and she came around to take care of it for me.

While she unfolded my chair, I got that shivery-creepy feeling down my back that I always equated with someone nasty watching me. I looked around, but the snow thickened and I couldn’t see anyone on the sidewalk on either side of the street. For the first time, I was not glad there were empty lots next to Divine’s and across the street. The lights from the nearest houses looked miles away. The big olive-and-gold Victorian house looked a little creepy in the growing haze of snow.

No comments: