Friday, January 29, 2021

New release sample: NIGHT OF THE LIVING PROOF

 “So if we can get rid of the parasite and stop it poisoning the energy …” Felicity’s eyes narrowed. She tipped her head to one side, studying me. “Eventually she could walk again, and fly again?”

“Such a determination would require intensive study from those who are more qualified, with centuries more experience than I possess,” the doctor said. “But yes, in theory. Here’s the frightening aspect. I sense some inimical intelligence attached to the poison. If it was left in place long enough, it would eventually have overcome the natural defenses of heart and soul and mind, establishing a foothold for some very nasty invaders. And the smell, the taste of that power …” He sighed, and his eyes got big, sad, like he might tear up in a moment. “I am sorry, my dear, but it is another face of the ancient malevolence.”

Angela let out a soft, slow, deep breath and settled into the chair facing mine. A shaky little smile twisted her mouth.

“You know, I’m almost relieved to know that.”

“One enemy instead of several?” Hayward said.

“Exactly.”

“Okay.” I probably shouldn’t have been speaking what leaped into my head, but my brain felt clear for the first time in more than a day. “So the creeps who sent Jay and the other guys after me are the same ones who have been sucking out the energy that defends Neighborlee? And maybe they’re the same creeps who are causing my dreams? So maybe these guys are working with the snake?”

“No.” The doctor shook his head, just twice, the movement sharp enough to make his fuzzy hair whip around. “That ancient enemy is an entirely different song and aroma. What attacked you, my dear young guardian, is entirely of terrestrial origins.” He sighed and seemed to deflate about two sizes. “However …”

“It’s trying to contact the snake hiding underneath Neighborlee, isn’t it?” Felicity said, nearly on a whisper. She offered a weak little smile, and Kurt slid an arm around her shoulders. “I really hate it when I remember dreams I forgot. There’s a big, ugly … thing, trying to make contact, like Morse code, and someone heard it.”

That morning we started referring to the snake as Big Ugly. The new label reduced the squirming feeling and the mental image of Dune sandworms bursting up from the floor, with buzz saws for teeth.

No comments: