Friday, January 22, 2021

New release sample: NIGHT OF THE LIVING PROOF

 “I received your call for assistance after some delay, my dear.” He stepped into the room. He had an enormous doctor’s bag, also in dark purple. “Is there anything I can do? I must apologize for arriving too late to handle the dirty work for you.”

“Thank you, Doctor.” Angela pressed tape over the gauze, fixing the pad into place, then patted my shoulder. “I would appreciate a more experienced eye. I hope you won’t take it the wrong way, but I do pray this doesn’t fall under your expertise.”

“Not at all, not at all.” He stepped over behind me. Cool, thin fingers touched my neck, but didn’t peel up the gauze.

A silvery kind of song spun through my blood—the only way I can describe the sensation. It washed away the dregs of the itching. The throbbing in my sinuses turned into a tickling sensation, then vanished.

“You’ll be glad to know you didn’t need my help dealing with the consequences,” the doctor said after a few moments. He sniffed loudly. “Ah, I see Delphinia has graced you with some of her miraculous salve. You’re in good hands, young lady. Very wise, coming to Angela in matters of poison.”

“Poison?” Kurt yelped.

I turned to face them all. Angela was giving the doctor a scolding look. Col. Hayward’s concern became a scowl, and I felt a moment of fear for whoever got the full blast of that anger. Then I felt good, because he was angry for me.

No comments: