Sunday, April 24, 2022

Off the Bookshelf: STORY TRUMPS STRUCTURE, by Steven James

 

This is one of those writing books that you would be wise to read at least once a year.

Or maybe before you start each new writing project, if you do more than one a year.

Because there's SO MUCH stuff to keep in mind, so many wise pieces of advice, and depending on where you are in your writing journey, learning or refining your craft, different lessons will strike home more sharply than others.

This is a good book to read while struggling with a book that just isn't coming together, like it did for me -- although I can't point to the exact chapter or technique or questions that sparked that, "Oh, yeah, so THAT'S what's missing," moment. I just know that while I was reading this book, missing pieces popped into my head and I figured out what I was doing wrong and where I had to go back and delete things, move the timeline of events around, etc. 

Whew!

Invaluable for holding up different parts of the creating and revising and refining process to the light to approach the tried-and-true process from a new angle.

Big confession time -- I bought this and "Troubleshooting Your Novel" four years ago, right after attending Steven James' class at the ACFW conference, and they've been sitting on my writing books shelf ever since. I wish I had read them much, much earlier. Glad I finally read this now -- for the Great Lakes Fiction Writers book club!

Do yourself a favor, people, and read this book ASAP. You'll be glad you did.


No comments: