Tuesday, November 17, 2020

New Release Sample: LIVING PROOF (that no good deed goes unpunished)

 

The high of a successful gig stayed with me for nearly an hour. Ramon paid me and asked me to come back on alternating Friday and Saturday nights starting in January. That was good. When I hesitated, thinking of my wheelchair basketball schedule, he added a share of the entry fee to the pot. When I explained that I might have basketball games on Friday and Saturday nights, he got that stunned, jaw-dropping look on his face that I loved to inspire in people. Why did they find it so hard to visualize a woman playing basketball in a wheelchair? The Ezekiel's Wheels, my team, wasn't as popular as the Cavaliers, and we certainly didn't make the money they did, but we had a loyal following. We got in the papers. Not the front page, though. I wondered if I would have to bring my scrapbook or one of our league trophies to my next gig, to prove my athletic tendencies. Then Ramon shrugged and said we could schedule around my games. As long as I got on stage by nine, that was fine with him. That worked for me.


Too bad the comedy scene in northern Ohio was almost as depressed as I felt after getting my sports beat taken away. Otherwise, I might have been tempted to quit my day job and pursue comedy.


Remembering the bomb that hit me that afternoon succeeded in dragging my spirits down as the boys and I crossed the slushy back parking lot to my Jeep. I got into the front seat while Pete took care of cleaning the windows of the crusty slush that had accumulated while we were indoors. Harry got my chair into the back of the Jeep.


"Okay, Lanie, what's the problem?" Harry's demand was accented by the thud of the hatch closing.


"Problem?" I fluttered my eyelashes at him as he slid into the front passenger seat. Anybody who didn’t know us might have thought I was flirting with this gorgeous Latina guy—who was seven years younger than me. Harry was my brother. Didn’t matter if all three of us were adopted, we were tighter than blood.

No comments: