Tuesday, September 29, 2020

New Release Sample: VIRTUALLY LONDON

 

"Yeah, really. Granddad lives in books. Gram was a librarian. That's how they met. He was stealing from the research section and she caught him. Wrestled him to the ground and... Let Gram tell you. She tells it a lot better. Or wait until Granddad gets home from his fishing trip, and he'll tell you and act it out."


"I love books." She pushed off with both feet and hit the control that got the moped's pitiful little motor humming again.


Right about then, pity for my long-misplaced cousin turned to active like. We had a couple things in common, besides being dumped on Gram by relatives who couldn't find any use for us.


"I had lots of books. Mom and Dad got tons of books everywhere we went and sent them home. We added a new room on our house to hold all the books. They wouldn't let me keep any. They sold every last one." The growling break in her voice when she said they gave me a good idea how Doni felt about the Hallidays.


Okay, maybe it was immature of me, but I liked her a little more, knowing she really despised them. It meant Doni was with us all the way. She wouldn't be calling her Halliday relatives, begging them to take her out of this weird little town any time soon.


Don't get me wrong. I despised them, too. Anybody who would take a kid's books away was the lowest of the low. But the anger put Doni more squarely with us and against them. And since I had so little in the way of family, I was a greedy kind of kid who wanted to hold onto the ones I had as tightly as I could.


Then I thought of something.


"You know, Aunt Lenore used to send crates of books to Gram all the time. Chances are good a lot of them were duplicates of the books your folks sent home."


Doni stopped her moped again and stared at me, her face glowing, her eyes shining like crystals, full of tears. I liked that feeling, of knowing I had made her feel that good, given her that kind of hope. I decided right then, I was going to be Doni's protector, as well as the big sister Gram asked me to be.

www.YeOldeDragonBooks.com

www.MLevigne.com


No comments: