Friday, November 13, 2020

New Release Sample: LIVING PROOF (that no good deed goes unpunished)

 The comedy club audience inhaled on cue, a packed house, with the suction power that rivaled my super-duper-deluxe vacuum cleaner when it was brand new. Too bad I couldn't harness all that sucking power and turn it into profit. I needed some extra money, with Christmas approaching. And wanting to quit my job.

The guys fumbled and stammered and basically got in my way as I climbed back into my chair. Thank goodness for upper-body strength developed from years of pushing my own chair everywhere in town. The boys were useless, thanks to stage fright.


In those few seconds when my misspent life flashed before my eyes, the most dominant thought was, "Someone is definitely out to get me." In the last couple of weeks, I'd had two flat tires, a dozen prank calls at the office, and just as many middle-of-the-night hang-up calls on my cell phone and the landline at home. And now someone had stolen the ramp up onto the stage. What else was I supposed to think?


Someone was out to get me!


The silence, once the guys stepped out of the spotlight, was profound enough to hear a pin drop from across the street. Without super hearing. This was the type of moment in a struggling performer's career when you either called it a night, permanently, or you took the equivalent of a bloodbath on the next smart-alec line that popped out between your teeth. I flashed those bug-eyed, horrified people my best Pac-Man grin, buying a few seconds to think.


I swear, the only inspiration that came to me was Kermit's line from The Muppet Movie.


"I hope you all appreciate the fact that I do my own stunts."


Silence.


Oh…heck. What I wouldn't give for the power of invisibility, or to turn time backwards a whole day.

No comments: