Thursday, May 14, 2020

The Adventure: with author CINDY THOMSON: My Current Scribing Adventure

Hello!

I’m happy you stopped by to hear my wee tale. I call it my current adventure because after almost twenty years of writing for publication (not counting the years I just made up stories just for my own amusement) I have learned that the writing journey is ever changing.

For me, it started with my interest in researching my family roots. I started as a teenager collecting names and dates from the oldest family members at family reunions and by writing letters. I wish now I had asked for more stories along with those names and dates. Stories are the most interesting part. I was fortunate to find someone who had traced one branch of my family back to 1771 when the family came to America from Ireland. I was hooked. Why did they come then? Why did they leave one daughter behind in Ireland? What was America like when they came and why did they keep pulling up roots and relocating across the new country? I couldn’t find all those answers other than what the reasons likely were for anyone living at that time. So … I made it up! That was my first adventure into writing fiction, a story that has never been published but led to other things.


I eventually found an agent and then a publisher for my first book. At the same time I co-authored a baseball novel that was published by a university press, a completely different experience than publishing novels. Then my fiction publisher wanted no more fiction. They did, however, publish a non-fiction book I wrote. After that I busied myself by writing a ton of genealogy articles for magazines. Then obtained a new agent, then a new publisher and two published novels. Yay, right? But then one book by that publisher was canceled. Eventually my new agent left me and I went on to self-publish several new books (including the one that the publisher had canceled, which some readers have said was my best novel thus far!)

If this sounds like I was doing a lot, remember it’s over twenty years!

CONTINUED Friday

PRIZE DRAWING:
Anyone who comments on either post Thursday and Friday AND comments on any post at http://cindyswriting.com/blog/ will be entered in the drawing to win this nifty bookmark, to be held May 22.

Bio: Known for the inspirational Celtic theme employed in most of her books, Cindy Thomson is the author of six novels and four non-fiction books, including her newest, Finding Your Irish Roots. A genealogy enthusiast, she writes from her home in Ohio where she lives with her husband Tom near their three grown sons and their families.   










1 comment:

JPC Allen said...

When I was in college, I interviewed my mom's parents about their lives in West Virginia when they were kids. This would have been in the teens and twenties. I learned so many wonderful stories.