Thursday, May 7, 2020

Introducing: THE ADVENTURE



Welcome to THE ADVENTURE

Hopefully ... this will be a weekly feature, talking about what's going on with writers, writer friends, communities, events, whatever. The focus is on BOOKS!

Thursday and Friday each week, I'll invite a writer to talk about a new book, a work-in-progress, something that has challenged them, maybe offer you a chance to get a book or another goody related to their newest title. Sky's the limit -- and we're just getting started, so we'll figure it out as we go along and learn what works, what is a smashing success, and what falls faster than a lead balloon ....

And if I can't get someone to contribute in any particular week ... sorry, gang, you're stuck with ME!

(cue: evil laughter ..........)

So today ... just to get things going ....

I'm on a HUGE adventure.
Readers (and someone my publisher assures me is my biggest fan) have commented on a few ... umm ... glitches. Inconsistencies. Contradictions. Face it: MISTAKES.

Yeah, readers have found mistakes in some of my Commonwealth Universe books. A statement about places or people or "historical events" in one book is contradicted or just doesn't quite mesh up with a statement about the event or people or whatever in another book. Or, as has happened when I finally sit down to write an entire BOOK about an event mentioned in two or three sentences, in a book I wrote maybe 10 years before ... well, they don't quite fit. Maybe you can blame Human memory (mine, and the characters relating the event) and we all know how people rewrite personal history to make themselves look better, or make someone else look bad.

SO HERE'S WHAT I'M DOING:

I'm going through every single published Commonwealth Universe book and novella -- over 25 -- and I'm taking notes, I'm creating a "guidebook" and establishing standards and making sure that the history of a planet or the rise of technology or a family tree or other bits and pieces are written down and organized, and I'm making changes in the books as I go through each one.

Reading the existing books will help me "get up to speed" to start writing Commonwealth Universe books again. Because face it, those of you who have actually read any of them ... there are some big holes in the timeline. Over 25 books published now, with over 50 planned by the time I'm done. Yeah, lots of holes to fill in.

More on the big project tomorrow!

No comments: