Monday, May 19, 2014

Off the Bookshelf: ABIGAIL ABERNATHY by TR Goodman

Another Steampunk short read, this one has got me hooked on the clever, never-say-die heroine ... in only 19 pages!

The full title is ABIGAIL ABERNATHY: All-Night Analytical Engine Analyst, Volume I.

Analytical engine? Think steam-driven prototype computer, with punch cards and such. I've seen this in several other steampunk stories I've read, so I must assume this is a standard steampunk device.

In essence Abigail is defying convention by working for a living -- she's technically a member of the Geek Squad -- and the story chronicles her first day on the job, taking on a mismanaged analytical engine at a very messy, disorganized company. On top of everything else, she's contending with the attitude of the analytical engine analyst who just lost his job ...

Clever. Great character. Definitely going to look for more adventures of Abigail Abernathy ... as soon as I get this to-be-read pile down a few more inches ....

No comments: