Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Book Review -- THE GREEN VEIL, Empire in Pine book One, by Naomi Musch



THE GREEN VEIL, Empire in Pine Book One, by Naomi Musch
January 2011 release from Desert Breeze Publishing

Lovely, soft, quiet in some ways. Gritty and painful in others.
"Real" is an over-used word, in some ways. But it feels real -- the people are real, their trials and tribulations and problems and joys and sorrows and bad choices and triumphs.
Real.

An interesting view of the pioneering/growth days of Wisconsin and the logging industry. I just never thought that lumberjacks and the lumber industry would make an interesting backdrop for a romance. Naomi carried it off.


Hmm, but the funny thing is, I DID love "Here Come the Brides." (Does that date me, or what?)
(And it wasn't because of Bobby Sherman, either. I didn't even know who he was!)

I recommend this book -- and I'm not really a fan or ardent reader of historical fiction. I knew Naomi was doing a great job with her characters when I was gritting my teeth and muttering, "You dummy, don't do that!"
She made me care. When I had a dozen other things to do in the day, I always made sure I read a few chapters of the book, because I wanted to know what Colette and Manason were going to do next!

Colette and her family headed into the vast, pine wilderness, leaving behind their friends and the boy she loved -- but who certainly didn't seem to realize it! He had dreams of making his fortune in the lumber business, of traveling and seeing and doing -- certainly not of settling down and being domesticated.

Years later, after some bad choices, after the mistakes and carelessness, schemes and selfishness of others got in their way ... well, you'll just have to read the book. They certainly earn their happy ending!

Good job, Naomi!

No comments: