Tuesday, November 10, 2020

New Release Sample: LIVING PROOF (that no good deed goes unpunished)

 So Harry and Pete lifted me, wheelchair and all.

Halfway through what should have been a smooth maneuver, I saw this swirling flash of a dozen tiny sparks of light, circling my head. My fingers tingled, just for a second. It was how Kurt described the sensation he always got when he felt other Lost Kids use their semi-pseudo-superhero powers.



All that fled my brain, because for a split second, I could have sworn I saw Sylvia Grandstone standing in the doorway, glaring at me. She pointed at me. There was something in her hand. I wouldn’t have been surprised if it turned out to be a gun. The darkness behind her took on a dull sheen like a dirty oil slick, and it spun counterclockwise.


That tingle turned painful, like wintertime dry air static, cubed in intensity. The sparks darted across the seating area, toward the door. Sylvia vanished—if that was Sylvia, because honestly, what would she be doing back in town after all these years?


And my loving brothers dropped me.


Have you ever seen a wheelchair-bound woman fall out of her chair from nearly five feet up in the air (two-and-a-half feet from the floor and another two-plus feet between the bottom of the wheels and the seat, for those who are counting) going sideways, with a "Take me now, Lord!" look on her face?


Ain't pretty.

No comments: